The Covid-19 pandemic has contributed to increasing the use of anxiolytics to control anxiety, stress, panic, and sleep disorders, which are increasingly common. In this regard, Rivotril, a drug whose active substance is Clonazepam, has become very popular.
Since it is a drug that is administered under strict medical recommendations, it is pertinent to know how it works and what its uses are. This information will be provided in this article.
- Formula: C15H10ClN3O3
- CAS number : 1622-61-3
- Molar mass: 315.715 g/mol
- Half-life: 18 to 50 hours
- Other Trade Names : Coquan, Clonagin, Clonex, Diocam, Klonopin, Kriadex, Linotril, Paxam, Rivotril, Zatrix
- Metabolism: hepatic, via cytochrome P450 3A4
What is Rivotril?
Rivotril is a drug that enhances the inhibitory effect of GABA, which is responsible for reducing the activity of the central nervous system.
The Medicines Agency belongs to a group of medicines known as benzodiazepines. Being considered a psychotropic, it can generate sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, amnesic, and muscle relaxant effects.
It controls the brain’s electrical activity, thus producing all levels of depression in the brain, from mild sedation to hypnosis or coma, depending on the dose.
How long does Rivotril take to work?
This varies depending on the dose and what each patient takes. In general, after about 30 minutes, its effects can be felt, and these can last between 10 and 12 hours, depending on the amount administered.
What is Rivotril used for? Properties
It is a potent benzodiazepine that reduces levels of irritability and anxiety. This type of drug’s popularity results from the modern lifestyle, where more and more people have anxious and depressive symptoms.
Next, the properties and benefits of Rivotril will be discussed.
Properties of Rivotril
- It is an anticonvulsant.
- It has anxiolytic properties.
- It is used as an antiepileptic.
- It is used as a sedative.
- It is a muscle relaxant.
Health benefits of Rivotril
The effectiveness of this medicine lies in the fact that it intervenes in different parts of the brain, promoting a sedative, hypnotic and anticonvulsant action. In this way, it becomes an alternative to combat seizures and clinical conditions that cause mood changes.
Next, the applications that can be given to this effective but delicate medicine will be detailed.
Used to treat epilepsy
Among the causes of epilepsies is the imbalance of chemical substances that transmit nerve signals,
During epilepsy, GABA, the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid, which relaxes brain excitation and reduces neuron activity, is found in low concentrations. At these times, Rivotril increases the affinity of the GABA receptor and this, in turn, enhances its effects by increasing its release.
Useful to combat anxiety
To treat generalized anxiety disorder, benzodiazepines are often indicated on many occasions. Generally, these sedatives are only used to relieve short-term acute anxiety.
GABA, a substance that functions as a messenger in the nervous system, reduces or inhibits neuronal activity. Therefore, it plays a crucial role in behavior, response to stress, and anxiety symptoms.
In this sense, Rivotril effectively fights anxiety, as it helps to enhance the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA.
It is a recommended treatment for panic attacks.
Treatment with this drug can help reduce the intensity and frequency of panic attacks and improve the patient’s quality of life.
This sedative is a central nervous system depressant, and it has proven effective in treating panic attacks because it has a high mood-stabilizing capacity.
How to use Rivotril?
Undoubtedly, Rivotril is a drug of restricted use, commonly indicated in psychiatric consultations. If it is not used in the prescribed doses and periods, it could cause physiological or psychological dependence, and it is essential to follow the medical instructions to the letter.
Various pharmacological presentations of Rivotril can be found, both in tablets, oral drops and also in the form of an injectable preparation.
- Capsules. They come in 0.5mg/2mg concentrations like Clonazepam. The recommended doses are: for children under ten years of age 0.01 to 0.03 mg per kilogram per day, while for adults 1.5 mg per day, divided into 2 or 3, depending on the doctor’s instructions.
- Oral suspension. This Rivotril in drops is recommended to be used in doses similar to that of the capsules, of course, according to the doctor’s prescription.
- Injectable solution. They are presented in 1 mg / 1 ml. The intravenous route is usually used to treat epilepsies, and the intramuscular way is only for exceptional situations.
The doses mentioned above are prescribed to start treatment, starting with low doses, to prevent possible secondary symptoms.
Advantages and disadvantages of Rivotril
Undoubtedly, the benefits of Rivotril will be enjoyed as long as medical recommendations are followed. Therefore, it is appropriate to know its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Rivotril
- Rivotril is used to treat anxiety.
- It is used to treat panic attacks.
- It is indicated as an anticonvulsant.
- Effective in the treatment of epilepsies.
- It can help improve sleep disorders.
Disadvantages of Rivotril
- It cannot be mixed with barbiturates, narcotics, antidepressants, phenothiazines, or psychotic agents. Except for medical prescription
- In pregnancy, it can only be administered if the doctor indicates it, considering the risks that it could cause to the fetus.
- It can cause dependency.
Precautions when consuming Rivotril
Head of the Psychiatry Unit of the German Clinic in Santiago de Chile says that “when its consumption is high, it can produce progressive and irreversible cognitive deterioration, a kind of premature aging of the brain.”
To avoid the dangerous withdrawal syndrome. Likewise, you should avoid driving vehicles and performing tasks that require a lot of concentration at the beginning of treatment.
However, associated with the central nervous system, it can also cause alterations of the respiratory system, such as nasal congestion and respiratory depression.
In conclusion, although Rivotril is effective for treating delicate emotional and brain diseases, it should be used by the recommendations of health specialists.